WE'VE MOVED

Please note that we've moved to a new blog at www.LibraryGrape.com.

Monday, March 31, 2008

Feminist Icon Alice Walker Endorses Obama

Check out Alice Walker's new essay endorsing Obama. Pretty powerful stuff. The tagline captures the essence: "we must build alliances not on ethnicity or gender, but on truth."

I am a supporter of Obama because I believe he is the right person to lead the country at this time. He offers a rare opportunity for the country and the world to start over, and to do better. It is a deep sadness to me that many of my feminist white women friends cannot see him. Cannot see what he carries in his being. Cannot hear the fresh choices toward Movement he offers. That they can believe that millions of Americans –black, white, yellow, red and brown - choose Obama over Clinton only because he is a man, and black, feels tragic to me.

When I have supported white people, men and women, it was because I thought them the best possible people to do whatever the job required. Nothing else would have occurred to me. If Obama were in any sense mediocre, he would be forgotten by now. He is, in fact, a remarkable human being, not perfect but humanly stunning, like King was and like Mandela is. We look at him, as we looked at them, and are glad to be of our species. He is the change America has been trying desperately and for centuries to hide, ignore, kill. The change America must have if we are to convince the rest of the world that we care about people other than our (white) selves.

Read More: Lest We Forget: An open letter to my sisters who are brave.

0 comments: