WE'VE MOVED

Please note that we've moved to a new blog at www.LibraryGrape.com.

Monday, June 23, 2008

McCain's About-Face on Public Financing

McCain certainly seems to have changed his view of the power of millions of online donors to change the campaign finance process. The below is from Mother Jones (good work!).

Here [McCain] is on the Fox News show "On the Record," in January 2004:

"I think it's wonderful that Howard Dean was able to use the Internet, $50, $75, $100 contributions. That's what we want it to be all about. We want average citizens to contribute small amounts of money, and that's a commitment to a campaign. So I'm for that. I think it's a great thing. I think the Internet is going to change American politics for the better."

And here he is on MSNBC's "Hardball," in June 2004:

"The Internet is generating more and more people involved in the political process with relatively small campaign contributions, $50, $75. That's wonderful. No longer can an office holder call up a CEO or a trial lawyer or a union leader and say, I need $1 million. And, by the way, your legislation is up before my committee again."

0 comments: