WE'VE MOVED

Please note that we've moved to a new blog at www.LibraryGrape.com.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Obama's Happy, Drama-Free Appeal

I just read an interesting article on Politico and really like the theme that it is running on. The article discusses how one of Obama's key assets is demonstrating his leadership abilities and coolness under pressure running and managing such an excellent, drama-free campaign.

I heard mention of this recently in an anecdote (I forget where) recounting a time that Obama sat down with Wall Streeters and took questions. Some of the first questions dealt with "Who are you? Why should we trust you to be the steward of the economy?" His answer was roughly something like this, "I understand your concerns. I will demonstrate my readiness to lead in the campaign I will run. Please judge me on the results and the conduct of my campaign."

In the days and weeks ahead, the Barack Obama campaign is going to pose a simple question to the undecided voters and undeclared superdelegates who will decide the Democratic nomination for president: If Hillary Clinton can’t run a good primary campaign, how is she ever going to run a good campaign against the Republicans?

And while she says she is ready from Day One to be president, she is at something like Day 430 into being a presidential candidate and her campaign seems to be going from bad to worse to train wreck.

Mark Penn, who just got booted as her chief strategist, is only the latest problem in a campaign that has been heavy on drama and light on results.

"None of these folks have ever run anything, other than Hillary running a health care task force,” David Axelrod, Obama’s chief strategist, told me Monday. “But these campaigns are big, complicated, pressure-filled enterprises, and it is an important proving ground.”

Read More: Obama's happy, drama-free appeal

0 comments: